Post #1: Working for meals

Ithaca, New York
September 1936

Dear Folks,

I sent you a card yesterday, so I haven’t very much to say except that I got a job for today and tomorrow washing dishes and waiting table for my meals at a Fraternity house up on Cayuga Heights. This morning I worked from 9:00 to 10:30 washing dishes from 35 people for my breakfast, but it usually isn’t that long. One of the waiters that rooms here got me the job. He has a car so I ride up with him since it is about 2 miles from here (nearer 3 miles).

Last night I went to 3 plays (one act) given by the Cornell Dramatic Club, who invited all Frosh as guests. It was very good. When I got back I talked with Lawrence Tucker (the fellow who got me the job) for quite a while and then went to bed (the job is only temporary). The fellow who rooms next to me is taking an agriculture course and is majoring in poultry. He expects to either teach or take up extension work after he graduates.

Monday will be quite a busy day for me as I will have to register and arrange my schedule if possible so that it won’t conflict with my working around meal time.

Yesterday afternoon I went up to the football stadium to try to peek in at the game but the cops kept chasing us away. However Cornell beat Alfred 14-0.

My supper didn’t cost me anything as I ate some of the fruit and cakes that you gave me and shall also do the same tonight, as I am only working for breakfast and lunch today and for lunch and dinner tomorrow. Lawrence is going to sell me some of his books that he had last year second hand after I find out what I will need. I also found out that chemistry only lasts one term and that you get about half of your deposit back if you don’t break too much.

In the R.O.T.C. one can either go out for the infantry or field artillery and I think I shall go out for the field artillery as Lawrence says it is easier. The first year one learns how to march, load, and fire 6 inch artillery guns etc. The second year, one rides horseback most of the time and learns how to jump and do other maneuvers.

Mr. Lender (my landlord) has put 4 children (2 boys and 2 girls) through Cornell so he says that he knows quite a bit about it. He moved here from the Pacific coast for that reason.

Last night I got acquainted with a Spaniard who is a Junior here, a Frenchman who is a Freshman, and an American who is a graduate student. We played ping pong in Willard Strait. That’s all I have time for now.

Lovingly, Hall