Post #28: Pomology

Ithaca, New York
March 17, 1938

Dear Folks,

I received Papa’s nice letter the early part of the week. My vacation is from April 2nd and school is resumed on the 11th. There wouldn’t be any possibility of having the wedding a week sooner would there? It would be very hard and rather expensive for me to come home a week after I came back on account of my work too. Don’t change it if you really want it on the 17th, but I was just presenting my situation.

I hope you didn’t get snowed in on Monday. We sure had some blizzard here but most of the snow has melted now, although it is very cold and damp today. Last night when I came home from work it was warm and rainy. This morning it was zero with a very cold wind, so you can see the way the weather changes here.

I was up before 5:00 this morning to study for a Pomology quiz that we didn’t get, but I have the work done anyway. Yesterday our lab section had to walk to the University orchards about 2 miles out (over a hundred acres) to prune young apple trees ranging from 1 to 15 years old. We also will learn all types of grafting and apply it. Nevertheless it is pretty cold pruning this time of the year and pretty hard to keep warm. Later on we are going to plant an orchard.

How is Andy coming along? How long does he have to stay at the Hospital?

Thank you for the check. I guess I will be able to scrape together enough to pay my fees with that, as I am getting a dollar for working overtime at a fraternity and am selling my meal at the Coop tonight. I have been invited over to Alpha Gamma Rho (the agriculture frat) to supper tonight in the hopes that I may join sometime, but I rather doubt it. However I’ll get a good meal so I might as well go over.

I can’t seem to think of much more just now. I may be able to go home Easter with Wesly Smith but don’t know for sure. I probably won’t bring anyone because it is hard to get rides. However it is 4 weeks off yet.

Lovingly, Hall

Editor's note: The wedding mentioned is his father's second marriage. The Flint family bible indicates that Gilbert A. Flint and Catherine Wilkinson Bockee were married April 17, 1938 (Easter Sunday) at St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Poughkeepsie, New York.