Post #27: Patching pajamas

Ithaca, New York
Monday afternoon, March 1938

Dear Folks,

Well exams are over and I feel a lot better. I made out pretty well in all of them, I guess or hope, but haven’t received my marks yet.

I started working for my meals along with Irving Saturday night at a house near Sigma Chi where I worked before. It overlooks Cayuga Lake and the inlet on the west, and is right along side of Ithaca Falls on the south across from the Ithaca gun factory. The water is quite high now and the falls present a splendid view and really look like a miniature Niagara.

I didn’t go to church Sunday as I had to go to work at 11:30, but will go every Sunday this term to make up for the past term as I really miss it. I listened to part of a sermon over the radio Sunday morning and sowed on my pajamas for three hours, and for an hour before I went to bed, as I had gone through both knees and the seat in both pairs of pajamas.

I cut up one pair and patched the others up so that I wouldn’t have quite so much of a ventilation system through them. Also sowed up the lining in my brown jacket which had come apart in several places and my bed slippers which Aunt Julia sowed up once, but which had gotten in pretty bad condition. Am working on my raincoat now and have my bathrobe to do.

This morning after I came back from breakfast I went up and had my schedule changed and got an appointment for an x-ray for which Martha sent me 2 dollars, but which I promptly sent back along with a seven page letter to make up for not writing to her before.

My books will scarcely cost me anything next term as I will be able to borrow practically all of them, or else go shares with a couple others on this floor who are taking some of the same subjects.

The weather is very warm for this time of the year but is continually overcast. I can’t remember when I saw the sun last around here. It rains about half of the time so you can see why I have to sow on my raincoat.

I am taking Pomology and Animal Husbandry instead of Ag Engineering and Vegetable Crops, which I was signed up for, as I didn’t want six labs because that won’t leave many later on and I wouldn’t have enough time to study. I am starting my Pomology this week so as to get a general idea of the course. Will appreciate a letter anytime.

Lovingly, Hall