Post #19: By the skin of my teeth

Ithaca, New York
November 14, 1937

Dear Folks,

I received Aunt Dorothy’s card yesterday and was glad to hear that the Turkey Supper was such a success. I have had quite a bit of work to do this week even though I didn’t have any prelims. I received two of my three prelim marks back and passed both of them, but only got through Economics by the skin of my teeth. I don’t like the course too well as it deals almost entirely in abstract theory and the terminology is rather difficult. However I am not much below average, if any, in the class so am not worrying too much. I got 92 on my poultry prelim which was quite easy. It was mostly on poultry genetics and diseases.

This morning I had to attend a Coop board meeting as the other alternate member is in the Infirmary. I didn’t have time to get much done as I had to go up and work at 11. I didn’t get up too early this morning as I didn’t get to bed until about 2 a.m. Irving and I went up to a C.I. A. get acquainted party at Barnes Hall and studied some.

Friday morning I got up at a quarter to four to study for two quizzes and read a hundred pages of Sociology. I slept a couple of hours Friday afternoon after I got through work, and that night I had to attend a rather lengthy meeting of the help at the Coop. After I got home I worked on an Ag. Economics report until about 3 a.m. Saturday morning and then Irving came in, after having first arrived by bus from Pennsylvania – about 300 miles distant - where he had been playing football – so it was about 4 a.m. when we finally got to bed and I was up at 7:30 for my class. I got back at 10 and found Irving still sleeping so I went to bed for an hour until we had to go up to work. I got wet right through my rain coat just walking to and from class – that’s how hard it’s been raining lately around here.

Saturday afternoon I listened to part of the Cornell-Dartmouth game which was very exciting and ended in a moral victory for us even if the score was 6 all. I must stop now as I have to get the rest of my work done so that I can go to church tonight. I will write again next weekend and let you know if I change my plans or anything.

Lovingly, Hall