Post #16: Football celebrations

Ithaca, New York
Sunday night, early September 1937

Dear Folks,

I was very glad to receive your letter and to hear the news. The reason Andy’s spring broke was because it was a weak one which he had put in temporarily, and it was cracked before we started anyway. No we did not hit any construction and he drove slowly all the way.

I sent you the “Sun” as I thought the inauguration address might interest you. They had 31 different college presidents here that day and it was a school holiday. I gave farm practice tests all afternoon, and we finished the last of them up. They only give them during school hours and I didn’t have much free time with my Coop work. I can’t get in as one of the term instructors in the course because they only teach it Monday and Tuesday afternoons and I have labs on those days. However next year if I can arrange my labs so that I have those afternoons free I will have a good chance to get in.

I can’t arrange to go to church very often Sunday mornings because Sunday dinner is the most important meal of the week and I have to be there early to see that the counter is set up right. One of the boys whom I eat with at the Coop occasionally is from Oakland California and is doing graduate work in Floriculture. He is part Chinese and part American; another boy is from the West Indies and he helped get the Coop ready to open.

There has been a lot of celebration over the fact that Cornell beat Princeton 20 to 7 Saturday. We play Syracuse here next Saturday and I bet the place will be packed on account of Syracuse being so near. Ken Brown made one of the three touchdowns Saturday for Cornell. He’s from Millerton and only weighs about 160 but is very fast. Bill Moulton is also on the first team. I worked at the Coop with him last year and this term he is in three of my classes. Irving made the 150 pound football team and is going to Princeton this coming weekend to play.

I wrote Martha a letter yesterday to the address you sent me in New York City. Margaret made the first church choir at Oberlin, and is also in the Orchestra, on the Frosh bowling team, on the tennis team, and is taking archery besides. She’s surely going places for only having been there a few weeks.

I hope Pop’s fingers are alright by this time; did he get the fastening on his leather jacket fixed yet? For our lab in Agriculture Economics Tuesday we have to go out to a large farm about two miles north of Ithaca and make a farm inventory. If I don’t find a way to get there I will have to walk, so I am going down to call up a fellow now – will be glad to receive a letter anytime.

Lovingly, Hall