Post #26: Pruning trees

Ithaca, New York
Saturday morning, February 26, 1938

Dear Folks,

I received Aunt Dorothy’s nice letter Thursday and am very sorry to hear the bad news. It seems as if Andy is getting much more than his share of tough breaks doesn’t it? I hope he is coming along nicely now. I sent him a note and a card under his new name as I supposed that was the one he was entered under.

My fees have to be paid by the 7th of March. They come to $33.50 in all so maybe I had better have about $35 as soon as it is convenient. I am enclosing a few pictures that I had taken about three weeks ago. They aren’t very good for the most part but I thought I would send them anyway.

It has snowed here some lately but there isn’t more than 3 or 4 inches. The weather is quite nice in general. How is the new truck in the snow? Irving and I are buying our Agronomy books together, but that is the only one that I have to buy so I am able to borrow all the rest and am saving about $25.

I didn’t go to school yesterday (the first day I’ve missed in the last year or this year up to now) as I ate something Thursday night which didn’t agree with me and didn’t eat anything all day except for an orange and a little super. I ran quite a fever but am ok today, I guess, and will be able to start working again this noon. I didn’t miss too much school work as Tuesday and Thursday are my hardest days when I have classes from 8 to 5 except for an hour at noon when I work.

I received a nice letter from Martha, and also a card from John Serafin yesterday. He just got back from 4 weeks of vacation from the Hospital and is starting work again. I wrote him a letter about two weeks ago. I hope Papa doesn’t have to work too hard now that Andy isn’t there.

The weather hasn’t been so cold that you needed as much wood as usual has it? And besides it’s just three weeks until spring. It would probably be better if I didn’t go to Washington at Easter, seeing as things have turned out the way they have. Maybe I could go the beginning of the summer for a few days when I would have more time instead. Besides I should have my semi-annual dentist appointment. I wonder if you could get me an appointment for the 4th of April if possible. I hope Catherine is feeling better now and got over the cold.

In our Pomology lab last week we were loaded on trucks and taken out to an abandoned apple orchard where we learned how to prune mature apple trees. We also learned how to prune young ones and plant trees, not only apple but others and it is very useful. In my Animal Husbandry course which is just dairy cattle, we judge them all term at all ages, and all breeds. I expect to know a lot more about them when I get through. I guess I better get started studying now.

Lovingly, Hall