Post #6: Studying for prelims

Ithaca, New York
November 1, 1936

Dear Folks,

I just have time to write this letter before going to church. I am just returning from work. I have been waiting table over the weekend at Theta Delta Fraternity where Evan Jones works. It is quite near the campus and a very nice place to work. I finished working over at Sigma Chi Fraternity Thursday as the regular dishwasher came back.

I enjoyed the package very much and everything was swell. The weather has been cold and raw most of the week. It snowed Friday afternoon some. I have four prelims this week and have a lot of studying to do for them yet. Did Aunt D. get back from the Dorwards yet? I am sending a little something for her birthday which I thought was quite nice. She will probably get it Wednesday.

We got short black coats with our R.O.T.C. uniforms which are very warm and nice. I wear it a lot. How did the potatoes turn out? It was nice that Papa and Aunt Julia could take the trip over to Connecticut. I got Aunt Dorothy’s card from South Windham. How are the Kibbes? I listened to part of the Cornell – Columbia game yesterday and it was very exciting. Would you send me a copy of the Amenia Times or of the news sometime?

I saw Julia Bockee the other day and she invited me to go up and see her but I haven’t gotten around to it yet. How is everyone at home? I was helping Miss Lender fix one of her old lamps the other day, and after I got it apart I found that the new cord she had wasn’t small enough to go through the frame of the lamp and so had to put it back together again. She is having some company visiting her now from Florida.

I bought myself a pair of shoes with crepe soles which are much easier on your feet when you have to walk a lot. I wore out another pair of old ones which I brought with me.

Well it is 3 p.m. now and I just returned from work. I went up to Sage Chapel this morning and saw a lot of people that I know. I am enclosing the program. After coming out of the service, I didn’t have time to come back to my room before going to work so I stopped in Willard Straight for a few minutes. It is the 4th time I have been in it since school started. Friday, I played basketball for about ½ hour. I haven’t got any work in prospect this coming week unless I get a call.

Write me a longer letter the next time and tell me all the news. I have to study now.

Lovingly, Hall