Post #8: Drill training

Ithaca, New York
November 15, 1936

Dear Folks,

I received your very nice letter and also the “Times.” It is raining out this morning and it sleeted almost all of yesterday afternoon. I waited table for two meals every day last week but haven’t anything in prospect for this week yet – except for this noon. Every one of the fraternity houses were trying to get extra help on account of the large weekend crowd. I had five houses call me up yesterday afternoon to work so you see that my star of ascendancy hasn’t declined yet. I guess Miss Lender is afraid that her stairs are going to collapse one of these days with my running up and down them.

It is just a week and a half before I go home. I am looking forward to it very much. I will probably get a chance to go home with Wesly Smith (the boy who lives in Saugerties) at both Christmas and Easter and a couple times in between as he says that he will be going home every 3 or 4 weeks and that I could just as well go with him. He is an outstanding 4-H Club member of Ulster County. He is majoring in Poultry. For these reasons I have cultivated a good friendship with him and given him several chances to work.

I got 90% in my Drill prelim and like it a little better since then. Speaking of military training, I heard Senator Gerald P. Nye speak up at Willard Straight on the subject “American Driven into War.” It was an excellent address and impressed me a lot. The Cornell Unified Religious Forum sponsor these talks and bring some great speaker here every two weeks. It cost $150 to bring Senator Nye here so they had to charge a slight admission but it was certainly well worth it.

Yes I obtained a pair of rubbers, but I don’t wear them any oftener than I have to as the pavements are rather hard on them. The registry of College students hasn’t come out yet but I met the Miller boy from Millerton last week. I discovered that he sat two seats over from me in Botany and that he is in my section of the English class – quite a coincidence. No I haven’t had my watch fixed yet but intend to sometime soon as I miss it. I can’t come home with the Miller boy as he goes home on the train. I think that I am very lucky to get as near home as Saugerties with some one else.

You will have to be content with a 4 page letter this week as I have two more prelims coming up and I want to try and raise my marks. I received a lovely package of cookies from Katie Bockee on Thursday and also a letter and will write her today. I heard the Rev. Allan Knight Chalmers D.D. speak last Sunday at Sage and he was very good. I am sending the order of service in case you want to see it. The chapel is always packed every Sunday.

This term is nearly half over if not more – the days seem to fly very fast. Write real soon.

Lovingly, Hall