Post #10: Not a very Good Friday

Ithaca, New York
March 26, 1937

Dear Folks,

I just received the package this afternoon after returning from Botany lab. Everything is very nice and I surely appreciate your thoughtfulness. I also received your letter Tuesday and was very sorry to hear about Peter’s death as it will be very hard for his wife and children, won’t it.

It has been a very blustery day here with a hard wind and plenty of snow and ice along with it. I believe it snowed harder than it has any time yet this winter, but only for short periods of time. Nobody seems to think that it is a very “Good Friday” after all.

I have plenty of work to do over the weekend as I have four prelims coming along near the beginning of next week. I had two this week. I am not sure when I will be coming home so will make no definite plans – probably Thursday or Friday – but don’t expect me until you see me as my plans have been changed and I probably won’t come home with Wesley. I am looking forward to my vacation very much because this life is getting rather monotonous and a change will do me good.

I didn’t go to the 4-H meeting this week because the last time I went I sat up half the night doing my Chemistry, and besides I have been going quite a bit lately. In Hygiene Monday we were shown moving pictures of the sewage disposal systems at various state hospitals, two of which were Wingdale and Hudson River State Hospitals.

I am planning to go to the Easter Service at Sage Sunday and may also go up tomorrow afternoon when they broadcast a program over the Columbia Network. The Cornell choir and orchestra are participating.

I am glad Papa sent me $10 instead of $5 because I have had to get my laundry done and buy some school supplies. I will not bring any dirty clothes home with me as it makes too much luggage and I can get them done here very reasonably. No, I don’t think I really want a radio now as I probably wouldn’t use it very much.

One of the boys told me that Professor Bevan spoke here last year and that he liked him quite well. I can’t think of anything else to say now but will make up for it when I get home. I hope the roads don’t get too bad.

Loads of Love,

Hall