Post #11: Prince and the Pauper

Ithaca, New York
Sunday afternoon, April 1937

Dear Folks,

I have just finished some back reading in English, and I decided this would be a good way to rest my eyes. I haven’t had much of a weekend, as yesterday morning I made up a Botany lab and yesterday afternoon cleaned house over at the cooperative.

One of my friends who belongs to a veterinary fraternity (Alpha Psi) gave me a bid to a formal that they were giving in the banks downtown last night. However, I was so busy the last few days that I didn’t feel like making the necessary preparations for it, and instead I went down to see the “Prince and the Pauper.” I read the books several years ago, and I enjoyed both very much. I took a girl who sits next to me in English class and with whom I have become quite well acquainted during the term. She belongs to a sorority house and invited me to take her to an informal dance they are having next Friday night. Her home is in Detroit and her father is an airplane designer for the Army.

The Monday after I returned they had a large Beef Sale of cattle from all over the state. Briarcliff Farms had a large group of cattle there, and also Bethel Farms Inc. and Mr. Bontecue. Mr. Bontecue brought the highest priced animal - an Aberdeen Angus bull for $625. The auctioneer was supposed to be one of the best of his kind in the county, and he sure could talk fast.

I stopped in to see it for a half hour on my way back from lab. I saw Sam Morrison but didn’t bother to stop to talk with him as he was pretty busy. I finished up a report for Ag. Engineering this morning and had to go to work at 11:30 until 2:00 for one of the boys who worked for me when I was away. I will also have to work tonight and for two more Friday nights before I am all caught up. I have a series of prelims coming up this week of which I haven’t started studying for and probably won’t get around to it until the night before. I was up at 4:30 every morning this week also.

What room will Irving Luban and I be able to have this summer? We want to room together as we are going to next year. We have two beautiful rooms on the west side of this house overlooking the city. We are going to be able to get them for the same price that I am paying for this cubby hole this year, and it’s only one block further down. The prices are going up here next year.

I would like to have Irving come as my guest and be entitled to the same privileges as I would receive, as he is superior to me in many respects and possesses an admirable personality, and I feel that the two of us could accomplish a lot if placed under similar circumstances, trivial things included.

I have just been out having a catch for about 15 minutes. It gives you a chance to be outside and breaks up the monotony. I received your letter. I will be able to store a lot of my stuff in the place where I room next year.

Love, Me