Post #21: Sliding cars

Ithaca, New York
Friday afternoon, December 1937

Dear Folks,

We have had quite a bit of snow and wind here the last few days and I suppose you have too. I hope the road didn’t fill in too much. I have had two prelims and some quizzes and two income tax blanks to fill out this week, so I have been rather busy. I get up about five every morning but it has been so cold the last few mornings that I have studied in bed.

I have a term problem in Sociology to do over the weekend and may go down to Pennsylvania with a bunch of cooperative students either tomorrow or Sunday to study economic conditions in a leather tanning town about a mile over the border. The Coop is sending down a load of coal and a load of food to help some of those who have been out of work for a long time.

The roads and sidewalks have been a sheet of ice for a few days and there have been a lot of minor accidents. Thursday night we were watching the cars trying to get up Eddy Street without chains. They would get almost up to the top and then would put on their brakes and slide all the way down to the bottom again faster than they came up.

I don’t know when we are coming home yet but will let you know when I find out. Vince Peppe’s brother isn’t going home until the day before Christmas so I won’t go with him but will be able to come back with him. I’ll probably get home by Saturday but am not sure. I found my skates and think we are going skating tonight for a little while over at Beebe as I haven’t been yet.

Cornell had its first basketball game with Toronto last night and won 44-21. The kid who lives across the hall and who is on my shift at the Coop plays on the Varsity team. Every player gets two free tickets and he is giving me one for next Tuesday’s game against Bucknell.

I can’t seem to think of much else so will close for now.

Lovingly, Hall