Post #22: Candy and toothbrushes

Ithaca, New York
Saturday morning, January 1938

Dear Folks,

I just have time to write a letter before I go up to work. I have just returned from taking a prelim in Economics which I stayed up most of the night studying for.

You know the gifts that were given out the night of the wedding? Well I stuck mine in my suit pocket then without opening it, and I just discovered it a couple of days ago. It was a bottle of Pond’s cold cream, so I am letting Irving use it.

Editor’s note: The wedding refers to Catherine Matilda Flint and Andrew Burton Leigh, who married on December 31, 1937.

The only time I’ve been out since I came back was Monday night when I went up to the 4-H meeting to hear Professor Agustensen talk on his trip to Europe. He is a professor in the Agronomy Department and gave some very interesting data on agricultural methods employed on the British Isles and in France. His lecture was also accompanied by slides. Last night there was a 4-H party but I didn’t go on account of my prelim.

Your letter was very interesting and I enjoyed Martha’s too. I suppose I should take a lesson from her marks but I don’t seem to be doing it yet. I’ll bring a couple toothbrushes back the next time I come home if you don’t need them before. Thank you very much for the package and candy. I have been feeling much better lately and have regained my appetite. Although my nose is still rather sensitive, I have had no more bad nose bleeds.

I probably won’t work at the coop for two weeks during exams and just following, as I have a chance to get off since they are only running part time. It will give me a chance to hit my finals better. My marks as a whole are picking up although they have a long way to go yet.

Remember me to Catherine and Andy and the rest. It has been snowing quite a bit lately but there isn’t much on the ground, although it is quite cold.

Last Saturday afternoon I played basketball on the coop team and was high scorer, but felt very stiff the next day as it was the first time I had played this year. I also watched the wrestling bouts between our freshmen and some other college.

Cornell won their first league game in basketball from Princeton but lost to Dartmouth Monday night. We are playing Columbia here tonight.

Well, I have to go now so will be expecting a letter soon.

Lovingly, Hall