Post #24: Ushering for Eleanor Roosevelt

Ithaca, New York
Tuesday afternoon, February 15, 1938

Dear Folks,

I didn’t write Sunday as there wasn’t much to say and I was rather busy that day. I went to church in the morning and had to attend two committee meetings in the afternoon. I only have a couple classes each day but when I am not doing that I am either ushering or helping register or working at the Coop. Rather contrary to my wishes I have been appointed head of both the noon and night shifts. It keeps me busy especially these first few days when the people are new at their work.

If I find that I have too much on my hands I will resign from the head of the night shift. Yesterday I ushered for Dean Ladd at the Agriculture College and Miss Flora Rose who is head of the Home Ec. College when they spoke at 2 p.m. I also ushered for the Future Farmers of America during their Amateur Hour, which was two hours at night – both programs were broadcast.

Today I ushered for George F. Warren who is head of the Ag Economics Department here, and I will again tonight when the University Orchestra gives a concert in Bailey Hall. Governor Lehman and Mrs. Roosevelt are speaking the next couple of days and I will usher for them too. Over 4,000 registered for Farm and Home Week yesterday. They only had 11,000 for the whole week yesterday.

I saw the Penn-Cornell basketball game Saturday as it didn’t cost me anything to go with Ralph. It was very good although we lost by a few points, but we are second in the league. Today I got the rest of my marks and made out a little better than I expected. This is all I have time for now.

Lovingly, Hall


Editor’s notes:

Click the links below to view photos and background information about Eleanor Roosevelt’s visits to Cornell during Farm and Home Week.

http://rmc.library.cornell.edu/homeEc/cases/eleanorroosevelt.html

http://he-photos.library.cornell.edu/image.php?record=1165

http://he-photos.library.cornell.edu/image.php?record=1169

Click the link below to read Eleanor Roosevelt’s “My Day” column for February 19, 1938.

http://www.gwu.edu/~erpapers/myday/displaydoc.cfm?_y=1938&_f=md054881