Post #30: How is Teddy?

Ithaca, NY
Thursday afternoon, late March, 1938

Dear Folks,

I got Popa’s letter but didn’t write last weekend as I had just sent a letter. Thank you for the extra money. I really will need it.

Yes, April 4 is OK for my dentist appointment because I decided I would rather wait until some other time to go to Washington. I have plenty of studying to do this term, so I don’t go out hardly at all because I need my weekends to get caught up on my work.

I went to the Yale-Cornell basketball game Saturday night with Ralph as it didn’t cost me anything. It was very good and we won 60-36.

How is Andy now? Getting well fast I hope. Do you hear from Martha much? It is only 3 more weeks until spring vacation; the time seems to really fly.

It has been a beautiful day here and seems to be getting spring like, although some days are quite cold. It seems pretty cold when we go out to the orchard to prune apple trees anyway!

I have a flock of prelims beginning next week – 2 on the same day – so I guess I will spend another weekend grinding.

How is Teddy these days and the chickens and horses and cows and cats and everyone else? I am looking forward to coming home next month as it is quite a stretch since the beginning of the year.

Papa’s birthday comes somewhere along about this time I think, but I’ve forgotten just when. Anyway I hope he has a very happy birthday and many more of them!

Editor’s note: Gilbert Augustus Flint was born March 27, 1883 and died September 27, 1979. Teddy was the family dog.

In my Dairy Industry lab, I learned how to test milk, cream, and skim milk for butterfat. All of my tests have come out exactly right so far. We have to run duplicates on each sample we test, and they have to be correct to within .1 of 1%. It is very interesting and relatively simple except that it takes considerable equipment.

We had our election of board of directors last night at the coop. Each candidate had to have someone give a speech about him the night before sharing his qualifications for the position. I spoke for Ralph Resmiels. It was very important that we get the correct people on the board because we are running a $25,000 a year business. Things haven’t been going too good lately, as the membership has decreased.

I didn’t run as one of the candidates because I am already labor representative and it would take too much of my time to do full justice as a regular board member with my other work too. It seemed last term that every night I had a lot of studying to do there would be a board meeting. Ralph is more or less taking my place.

Lovingly, Hall