Post #31: Swimming in April

Ithaca, New York
Friday night, Late April 1938

Dear Folks,

I spent five hours, nearly six, working at the Coop today, so I don't feel too much like studying. Since I don't have to study, I will get caught up on some of my letters. I got back three prelims this week with over an 80 average. 75 is my lowest average in any subject this term so I feel pretty good, as the end of this coming week will be midterm.

The weather has been very tricky lately. Tuesday and Wednesday the temperature was around 85 most of the time and today down to 25. About 50 kids were swimming in Beebe Lake Wednesday afternoon when I came home from my lab. I stopped in at the Old Armory for a half hour to swim myself, for the second time since I've been here.

I don't know just how I am coming home yet, but I will probably arrive Saturday. I may come home with the Robinson girl from Stamfordville again, and if I do, I will get to Keller's Friday night I guess, but I am not sure yet.

Monday I took a sample of milk from the Coop up to the lab to test it for fat, as I had suspected for some time that one of the companies that we had been getting it from was putting something over on us. I found that it tested 3.25 percent, so we have stopped buying milk from that firm. I will check up on it every week from now on.

I received a 95% on my Holstein cattle judging last week; the average of the class of about 200 was 65. I fell down on some of my Guernsey judging this week, as they seemed to be much harder. Our placing is only a third of the mark and our reasons are two thirds.

I go to church nearly every Sunday and have heard quite a diversified group of sermons.

I went to the Cornell Invitational Inter-scholastic track meet Saturday between some of the largest high schools in New York State, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. One of the schools from Troy, which I ran against in cross country, came out third. It was more sensational than the tri-meet between Cornell, Colgate, and Syracuse, as the best college records didn't come up to the best high school ones in many of the events.

I guess this is all I have for now, so will see you in a week.

Love, Hall