Post #32: Hard to study

Ithaca, New York
Sunday afternoon, May 1938

Dear Folks,

I haven't much to say, but it is such a beautiful day that it's hard to study, so I shall begin a letter anyway. I am using Aunt Dorothy's fountain pen as it is nicer to write with than my own.

Did the seeds ever come up? I rather doubt it, but then miracles do happen occasionally. Has the grass on the lawn grown very high yet? And did the order with my shorts come? If it did, I could use them sometime in the near future.

Tonight is the only night in the whole week that I don't work at the Coop, so I really look forward to Sunday night. I was playing ball a while this afternoon, but I nearly popped a cop on the head when he happened to walk by, so I didn't trust my arm anymore after that.

Well I'll see if I can study a little now. Have you heard from Martha lately?

Wednesday night - After receiving your most interesting letter, I think it's high time I finished this. I was out in the orchards all afternoon helping lay out and plant two year old seedlings. Every year's class in Pomology plants an orchard.

Last night I went to a Coop membership meeting and then up to hear the Cornell Symphony Orchestra, which only plays once or twice a year. They had the concert in Bailey Auditorium, and as it was free, they had about 3,000 attending.

Tell Martha not to work too hard in the garden if she comes up. I am sorry to hear that Mrs. Deusards wasn't feeling well. Please remember me to her when you write again.

Well I'm pretty sleepy and have to get up early in the morning, so will say goodnight for now.

Lovingly, Hall