Post #33: A date for the dance

Ithaca, New York
Saturday afternoon, October 1938

Dear Folks,

Thank you very much for the apples and the interesting letter. I will enjoy the apples as they arrived in very good shape.

Do you have to get rid of the cows that react to the blood test immediately, or aren't they testing for awhile?

The weather is very miserable here as it probably is all over. It's rained incessantly since last night. Our Dining Club had a dance last night and I helped them decorate the place. Mr. and Mrs. Truax were chaperones and we had a very nice time. I took a girl from Sage whom I met at a 4-H meeting Monday night. She went to Albany Teacher's College last year but didn't like it so she is in the Home Ec College now, planning on teaching when she gets out.

I find I have a lot of studying to do this term and was up till after 12 every night all week. I am going to try and get a decent night's sleep tonight.

I am going down to the Presbyterian Church Sunday night with a couple of boys from the Coop. I have been elected an alternate member of the board of directors at the Coop to represent the 30 boys who are working there.

One of the boys who lives here and works with me on some of our reports is from Palestine. He said that they turn the lights off at 9:00 every night and that he used to read by candle light afterwards. As a result, he has spoiled his eyes so that he will have to get glasses.

Mrs. Roosevelt spoke to the girls in the Home Ec College this morning. She seems to get around about every place.

No, I haven't made plans for any trips yet as I am tied down at the Coop every day unless I get a sub. I have to make up the time anyway so it's not really worthwhile now.

I will find a way home at Thanksgiving but it's a long way off yet. If I can have a $25 check as soon as is convenient, it will last me until then. I have been broke for two weeks and have several minor expenses as well as my rent to pay.

One of the boys here was operated on for acute appendicitis within an hour after Mrs. Truax took him to the Infirmary last night. He came out of it alright so far, but his term will be all shot as far as his studies are concerned.

I hope Teddy and everyone else is alright, and remember me to the men.

Lovingly, Hall