Post #37: Plucking chickens

Ithaca, New York
Friday night, January 1939

Dear Folks,

I received Andy's card today and was glad to hear from home. I hope the traveling isn't as bad now as he said it was. It is still just like spring here and it rained about all day on and off.

I was through with my classes for the day at 8:30 this morning instead of 10 or 11 as I usually am, as they are having a veterinary conference here. I worked about four hours at the Coop and have been working all afternoon and some tonight on the last half of my Sociology problem.

My glasses arrived Monday all done up so carefully that I had to cut the box open with my jackknife. They are a wonderful help for close work as they magnify the letters considerably, but they aren't any help where I have to see any distance, so I only use them in my room. Wesly Smith was down to my room to copy some notes that he missed, and he informed me that he had to get glasses while he was here also.

In your next letter, would you send Jessie's address which is on her Christmas card? I forgot to copy it down and she asked me to write to her. Thanks for the toothbrushes, even though neither of them are mine, but it is my fault for not telling you what color, and I can use them just the same.

Have the chickens started to lay any more yet, or did I kill the only two that were laying? In poultry recitation yesterday, they showed us how to cold pluck a chicken by slitting the roof of the mouth and sticking the cerebellum of the brain. This loosens up the feather follicles so that if one is very quick he can pluck the feathers out before they set again. Seeing that it is time for me to go to bed, since I get up quite early.

Good night,
Hall