Post #39: An Explosion at the Coop

Ithaca, New York
Saturday, March 18, 1939

Dear Folks,

I received Katie's nice letter early in the week and am glad to hear that you have a radio now. I think it adds a lot to a house and is really almost a necessity nowadays rather than a luxury. My heel is coming along very nicely but I still have to go to the doctor occasionally.

I think I am lucky not to be working on the morning shift this term because yesterday morning, they had an explosion in the kitchen when the big baking oven blew up. Someone had covered up the gas escape vent on top and when one of the boys went to light it, the commotion started. All the windows got blown out of the kitchen, and everything was knocked off the shelves. Luckily there was only one person in there at the time, and he didn't get hurt very bad.

My first speech in Public Speaking went off fairly well. I discussed Briarcliff Farms from the angle of its history, accomplishments and future, for a few minutes. We have to make four speeches during the term, with two on agricultural topics at least.

Last night we had a St. Patrick's Day party up at the Coop and had it decorated up quite nicely. We had quite a nice crowd too. I have plenty of work this term to keep me busy. Almost all of my courses have long reports attached to them, and my work at the Coop fills up the two or three hours between my morning and afternoon classes every day. They also want me to run for the Board of Directors of the Coop this year, but I haven't fully decided. I need $20 sometime if you can spare it to catch up on my rent.

Lovingly, Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment