Post #40: Orchards and Muck Farms

Ithaca, New York
Saturday noon, May 20, 1939

Dear Aunt Dorothy,

Thank you very much for doing my laundry up so nicely, and also for the excellent cakes. I won't wear the flannels much; I just wanted them for Sundays.

I could make it down to Martha's graduation as I don't have any finals on the 8th or 9th (you said it was on the 8th), but it will probably be just as well for me if I don't, as I have two big finals on the 7th and one on the 10th (which is my last). I haven't thought much about how I am going to get home yet; the man I am bringing home is going to New York City first for a few days to see his folks.

We had a lovely day for our trip yesterday up to Lake Ontario, and everything was very beautiful and impressive. The orchards were all in bloom, and we traveled through miles and miles of cherry, apple, pear, and peach trees with their different colored blossoms stretching right down to the lake shore. We also visited about a half dozen other types of farms on the way up, including a muck farm where only lettuce and celery and potatoes were grown.

We also visited about the largest certified seed farm in the state, the Robson Seed Farm, and saw how they grow and prepare different types of seed. We went up along the shores of Seneca Lake and by the Agriculture Experiment Station at Geneva. There were 30 of us in the bus from about half as many different countries, so we had a lot of fun.

I received my gold fraternity key at this week's meeting and also will get a membership diploma. I am looking forward to seeing Linda Jo and everyone in three weeks.

Lovingly, Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment