Post #41: Life insurance and the war scare

Ithaca, New York
Friday night, September 29, 1939

Dear Folks,

I received both Katie's and Pop's letter and Aunt Dorothy's card this week and was glad to hear from everyone. This has been a very busy week for me and has passed away before I hardly realized it. The first few days I spent all the time working for the Coop, as I was put in charge of the registration of members. Besides that I had to register on Tuesday and get my Rural Ed job with my professor fixed. I have the job and worked all day yesterday afternoon on it, running off mimeograph copies and other work in his office.

I also have been working four hours a day at the Coop, since our opening Wednesday night, as a cashier in order to check up on all the people who eat and guests. Starting next week I'll have someone to help me with this work however, and I'll only be working for part of my meals.

School got off to a good start this week, and I'll have plenty of work in my various courses. I have one lab tomorrow (Saturday) from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Ag Engineering. Besides this I am taking courses in Animal Genetics, Animal Diseases, Agronomy, and Rural Education. This latter course will consist of my practice teaching which I'll have to do in the Ithaca High School one or two days every week.

Yes, I bought myself a pair of shoes, suspenders, tooth brush, paste and numerous other incidentals which are necessary and which I realized I haven't got as I begin to get assembled. I also purchased a small radio - 8 inches x 4 inches x 6 inches - a "Westinghouse" which is very helpful and worthwhile. Irving didn't bring his back and I decided I would want one next year anyway, so why not get it a little ahead of time. I think maybe Pop and Katie would like to have one like it or else an "Emerson." This size costs less than $10 new, in either case, and is just as good as a larger one for a couple of years.

I received both boxes OK with my clothes - Thanks a lot - What is Martha's address again? Thanks for the check; I won't need anymore before Thanksgiving as I am taking out a loan from the university to pay my fees and rent with for awhile. I am thinking of increasing my insurance policy and changing it somewhat, but have not fully made up my mind. I have a chance to have the policy start right away without having to pay for it for a couple of years. Most of the students in Rural Education are taking advantage of this. This will mean less that I have to pay every year, and would be very worthwhile to me. If I don't wait very long I won't have to worry about the rates going up on account of the war scare also.

I am going to talk to my advisor (Dr. Olney), whom I work for, about it as he is quite well acquainted with the best size of policy to have, but I would like to have Pop's advice on it before I do anything. New York Mutual Life is the company I am thinking of taking the policy out with.

Lovingly, Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment