Post #42: Trouble at the Coop

Ithaca, New York
Sunday afternoon, October 9, 1939

Dear Folks,

Hello, Everybody - I missed getting a letter from you this week, but trust that everything is alright - at least I hope so. How is Kate's foot now, and the other horses and cows? I'm always interested in hearing about everything.

I was going to write sooner, but I was sick last Sunday and got back on my work some. I also have a Saturday class from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. so it cuts down my weekend quite a bit. The reason I wasn't feeling well Sunday was that I ate something that didn't agree with me and was sick to my stomach. This followed up with severe stomach cramps so that I had to have a doctor. He gave me some gas relieving capsules and I finally got to sleep about 2 a.m. Monday morning.

I felt alright in the morning except for being pretty weak, so I gave my rescheduled Farm Practice tests at 8 a..m and 9 a.m. and went to all my classes, took a final, and got in four hours of NYA work besides working at the supper meal. I've been alright ever since, but will watch what I eat more in the future.

Yesterday there were 25,000 fans in to see the annual Syracuse - Cornell game, which we won 19-6, much to the surprise of most people. I met several of my friends who graduated last June.

Friday I went to a teacher's conference for my professor whom I work for, and heard an excellent address by A.K. Getman, who is the Supervisor of Agricultural Education in New York State. Besides being very educational, I got NYA time for going and also credit toward my practice teaching hours. I'm going to be teaching until Thanksgiving and then dropping it, unless the Coop folds up before that.

Business is bad now because we have too few members and too big an overhead - $35,000. There are only five of us on the Board of Directors who are in charge of it, and I've had to put in a lot of time lately trying to figure out a way to keep going, but as I am not majoring in Hotel Administration, I don't intend to sacrifice my studies for it very much longer.

I've got to work tonight so will close. I received a short letter from Catherine and Andy at the World's Fair and will answer them sometime soon. How is Linda Jo?

Lovingly yours, Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment