Post #50: Night skating on Beebe Lake

Ithaca, New York
February 4, 1940

Dear Folks,

Well I'm all through with my finals and I have a couple of days before registration for the second term. I guess I made out fairly well and expect a little better than an 80 average for the term, which isn't too bad. Besides my finals I put in $10 worth of NYA time this last week, so with both activities I really kept stepping.

(Editor's note: NYA refers to National Youth Administration, a New Deal work study program for high school and college youth. A later notation by GHF on the letter states that NYA paid 25 cents per hour, so $10 represented 40 hours of work.)

I saw Professor King on Friday, and he told me that he's going to have a few boys who will have to go out on a farm this coming term, starting in February. I was thinking that it would be rather a good investment if I could get someone who had some experience to help out. By the time spring came around, when there was even more work, he ought to be fairly helpful, and it would be much less lonesome for Andy. I am going out in the county about five miles today to see a boy who has been working all last summer and last term on a farm near here, and find out if he would like to change.

I received nice letters from Catherine and Martha last week on the same day. Martha says she feels much better and is gaining some weight, which I am certainly glad to hear. I was thinking that perhaps Catherine and Andy would like to look into the advisability of making use of the Home Loan Association for a small loan sometime, perhaps something on a similar style that Katie and Pop have used. I think it might be quite practical in their case, and I am going to mention it to Catherine when I write.

Lat night I was skating on Beebe Lake for the first time in over two years, and I sure feel it today. However I hadn't forgotten how at all, and didn't fall down once. They have flood lights which made it just as bright as day. They have the toboggan slide all fixed up so that six people can go down it and the whole length of the lake. It's the first time I ever saw it in operation.

I am expecting a good mark in my Rural Education course. I have received nothing less than A+ in it the whole term. Catherine said that Aunt Dorothy wasn't feeling too good for a few days. I sincerely hope that she is fine now and that Aunt Julia had a very pleasant birthday, and that everyone else is fine.

This is about everything for now, so I will close, hoping that I hear from you soon.

Lovingly, Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment