Post# 44: Ag tours and competitions

Ithaca, New York
Sunday afternoon, November 12, 1939

Dear Folks,

I appreciated receiving Katie's letter and Aunt Dorothy's card very much. I can't tell you as yet just how or when I'm coming home but expect to go the same way as last year. I'll write a card later in the week and let you know for sure.

I got my new glasses the beginning of the week, and they surely are very much better than the others. On Friday and Saturday, I had occasion to take a couple of trips which were educational. On Friday night, our professor in Rural Ed took three of us to Endicott about 50 miles south of here to attend a Future Farmer Rally. The high school there is very large and holds about 2,000 students, about 100 of which are taking vocational agriculture. They had competition contests with about 10 other agriculture departments in that section in basketball, volleyball, ping pong, cow-calling, etc. It was certainly very interesting and I was also able to meet several agriculture teachers and talk with them.

We returned home about 12:30 a.m. and I was up at 7:00 a.m. on Saturday to go on a placement tour up toward Lake Ontario with one of the agriculture teachers whom I am doing my practice teaching under. About 10 or 12 agriculture teachers and 30 young men who are starting in farming went on the tour. We returned in time to hear the last half of the Cornell-Colgate football game which we won 14-12.

The purpose of the tour was to acquaint these young men with the methods and practices employed by men who are getting established in farming in other areas. This too was certainly very worth while. I have a chance to do much more of this type of activity now that I'm not working very much at the Coop.

The weather around here has been real cold and snowy. In fact it's snowing outside right now. I sincerely hope that it is nice next Wednesday when we go home. I'm having some pictures made from the ones I had taken for the Annual. I'll have them before Christmas sometime. This is all I have time for now.

Lovingly, Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment